Thursday, April 15, 2010

Potato, leek, spinach, zucchini and bacon soup

I can’t remember where I found this recipe but it was amazing and such a hit with the family! (well most of them, anyway).

Serves: 4 to 6

50gm butter (I used olive oil)
4 spring onions (roughly chopped)
2 cloves of garlic (roughly chopped)
2 leeks (roughly chopped)
6 potatoes (peeled and halved)
2 packets of frozen spinach
4 zucchini (roughly chopped)
2 chicken or bacon stock cubes (make into approx 500ml stock by adding water)
2 decent sized bacon bones*

Cream
Salt and Pepper


Method

Heat the butter over a medium to high heat in a stockpot, add the spring onions, garlic and leeks and cook until translucent.
Add the bacon bones* (piece of ham), stock, potatoes, zucchini and spinach - reduce heat to medium, cover and cook for approximately 1 hour, stirring occasionally.

Once the soup is cooked, remove from heat and allow to cool slightly. Using a blender, vitamise until all vegetables have been 'blitzed' and the desired consistency is reached (I like my soup quite smooth, but this is entirely up to you).
Season to taste.
Serve in large bowls with toasted sourdough or ciabatta (on special!) with lashings of cream.

*There weren’t any bacon bones available when I went shopping, but I did spy a nice piece of smoked ham at a decent price. It was cooked for the same amount of time as the vegetables so it was deliciously tender. My Dad broke it up into little pieces for me just prior to serving. Thanks Dad :->

No comments: